Tuesday, December 20, 2011

oh hey..

The reason why I haven't updated this isn't because my chemotherapy finished or I didn't have any more hospital visits... 


It's because I forgot my password. hah.


Since then I went back to the hospital because of a fever but it was only for over night.


Funny story.


I was admitted to the emergency room where they administered fluids and tried to get my heart rate and fever down.


Finally they got where they wanted me and they stopped fluids and told me they were going to send me upstairs for overnight. 


I was fine with that.


But when they unplugged me from the fluids they didn't say wait here and someone will get you, they merely said you're done.


So with Gunnar, and now his future wife, Becca I walked upstairs to the third floor. 


I felt fine enough to walk there and so I did.


The only problem was that they didn't know where I went.


And they were looking for me all over downstairs.


Either way I had a wonderful stay where I had a total of four different nurses that I had never met and two CAP where one I knew very well and the other I don't remember.


The night consisted of me doing various brain nerve tests to make sure my fever didn't cause any damage every four hours. That was fun.


But all the nurses were wonderful. Especially Scott.


-------


Because I lost my password this journal is going to be long because I need to catch you up.


-------


At the Dudley's Chiropractor I saw Natalie Lowe, she's married now and has a son.


She was babysitting for four kids over the week while their parents were gone for a vacation.


There was three girls and one boy.


The boy came up to me and just stared at me. He asked me why I was bald and I said I had cancer and the medicine made me lose my hair.


I asked him if he wanted to feel my head and he quickly shook his head, Natalie felt it and then he did.


He said it felt weird.


Next his sister came up and proudly said,


"YOU LOOK LIKE A BOY. WHAT DO YOU HAVE CANCER OR SOMETHING?"


I said and she backed away like I had the plague.


"WHERE IS IT? IS IT IN YOUR BRAIN? IS YOUR HEAD GOING TO EXPLODE?"


I answered no and proceeded to tell her it was just in my torso and not my head.


Her other sister came up and asked, "Do you have cancer?"


I said yes.


Her sister began to tell her, "SHE'S GOT CANCER IN THE HEAD AND HER HEAD IS GOING TO GET BIG AND LOOK FUNNY."


I corrected her. Again.


At the time I had just been released from surgery from removing a tumor from my left side of my neck.


They asked me if they could see my stitched but I said no, telling them I didn't want to get it infected.


As soon as I left the building I told Gunnar, and suddenly the whole situation was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing.


So far that's my favorite story to tell besides the mix up I had with my first surgery.


------


My hair is growing in. 


It's super soft, like baby hair.


At first it looks blonde, but I want to quench everyone's thoughts about it.


It looks red. 


And so I deem to red.


Hopefully this won't come back to bite me and end up blonde.


Because they tell you not to count your eggs before they hatch.


-------


Regarding my last post where I said I knew what I wanted to be with my career.


It's not an oncologist or a nurse or anything medical.


It's to be a pilot.


And not one for the Air Force, thought that would be fantastic. My medical history would easily make me a unwanted applicant.


I want to be some kind of pilot though.


Friday I'm taking John Hruby up in the air with me. I'm very excited. I'll type about that when the day passes.
-------


I'm officially cancer free and in remission for the next five years without Radiation.


That's freaking sweet.


Thank you to the people who have read all my posts and commented about it to me, it does mean a lot.


Annika Severts

1 comment:

  1. You are an interesting, amazing girl, Annika. Thanks for posting, and here's to red hair!

    ReplyDelete