Friday, September 2, 2011

T-Shirts.

I feel like this post won't be as clever as my other ones, or as amusing. But I'll try my best at it.

With Cancer Comes Great Responsibility!!

Or more like...

Time. Lots and lots of time.

But being sick with Flannery gives me time to reflect and think about random situations or things that I could entertain myself with.

For those who don't know, I have a tablet. Or in easier terms... a flat surface on which you can draw on with a stylist that leaves no mark on the surface but on a blank template on your computer. Or.. a tablet.

I've had my tablet for about a year now and it's been a joy and a stress. Stress because of the artist blocks you receive if you aren't inspired. (( which I'm currently in one now. )) and a joy because you can suddenly color and erase mistakes that would be a lot more obvious on paper. It's a nice little gadget.

Now me being all... artsy fartsy and what not. I often think about what I can do to make my little adventure more fun. I mean, I can't be wearing the same Bold Tigers t-shirt to every doctor visit that I attend. That's kinda gross. I mean.. it is gross.

So I began to think.
and Imagine.

And I already have two t-shirts I want to design with my little tablet.

1. A shirt that has Iron Man and Uncle Fester holding hands. Thus making a logical sense with my blog title and how I often refer to myself as their love child now.

2. A shirt that has Iron Man's port over my port. Or.. energy conservator fancy machinery that is in the middle of his chest.  Thus making logical sense of why I consistently call myself Iron Man. ( ( Who's movie which I received from my mother. Thank you. ))

And now to the shirt that I came up with while high on Ativan.

I had been recently disconnected with my friend Robbert (( the little machine that followed me everywhere who gave me my dosage of fluids and chemo. )) and had dressed to go home. At least... if memory serves me right. Ativan plus hospital stays tend to make your days mash a little together.

And I had an idea. A small witty idea that I shared with my Mother and brother Grant.

"You know those shirts that you get like from Niagara Falls that say; I went to Niagara Falls and I all I got was this T-shirt?"
My family members looked expectedly at me, knowing full well from previous days what I was like on Ativan.
"I went to the Oncologist and All I got was Cancer."

And thus the idea of a shirt was born. Is it inappropriate to create a shirt like that and wear it to my pediatrics cancer ward? Was it inappropriate when I sang 'Gory Gory what a hell of a way to die?' the answer to those questions is.
Yes.
It is highly inappropriate.
But I got to have my fun with it.

Now the final t-shirt story I have to tell does not come from my brain but from my brother Gunnar. Most people know and love Gunnar... and me being the closest to age still ponder about why so many people love him and why on earth he has a girlfriend.

Now skip to about 14-15 years ago when we were stationed in Hawaii. My birth place.
We were hiking up a volcano and I believe we were coming down.
And little Gunnar looked over the edge to see the long drop.
Now Gunnar as a child is like me on Ativan. We don't really think... we just zoom on with our thoughts whether they make sense or not.
He proceeded to tell my family.
"Whoa. Wouldn't want to lose me here."

My family thought that was hilarious. And I'm sure I did too at that age where I mimicked expressions and other useless baby actions.

So two christmases ago? Or one? When Gunnar was on his Mission to Peru, I made that shirt for him.
Now skip forward to about now. Probably around a week ago to where my mother was talking to him on the phone.
She started to laugh.

"Gunnar says he wants to wear his, "Woah. I wouldn't want to lose me here." shirt to the Oncologist office.

Severts family being highly inappropriate in certain situations but still wanting to do it anyways?
Accomplished.

So Gunnar. I expect you to be wearing that shirt one day to the Pediatrics Oncologist ward with me to get Chemo.
We may get funny looks, but hey.

What would we do without family and t-shirts?

Annika Severts

3 comments:

  1. how about these:
    Does this shirt make my head look bald?
    Chemo: Breakfast of Champions
    and this might be slightly inappropriate, BUT
    "Lymphomaniac!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I love it. And so does my family. They greatly approve of such shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should make the chemo one look like the Wheaties logo, haha

    ReplyDelete