Sunday, August 28, 2011

Russel the Chicken and Fruit Parfait

Day and Night One

   I was quickly sent to Saint Luke's Pediatrics Surgery on Thursday to put in my port. Mine is called the Power Port. Or what I like to call my Ironman port. A port is an easily access point that is put underneath the skin next to your collarbone. Mine is placed in my Right collar bone so that it doesn't influence my heart. This is so they don't poke me so often and just place the iv and chemicals through my body without putting a lot of holes into my arms. It's a plus as I don't like ivs in my arms or a lot of needle work. So I was more than happy to comply to their wishes of a port.
 
  The first night I won't lie was terrible. Waking up every hour of the night becoming excited because it was 7 am but it ended up being two instead. That was always a heart breaker. But my little nurses always created a small get away from me. Especially Russel. Some people might of heard of his name because I said on facebook he reminded me of a baby chicken. Usually when Robbert ( my robot that told me when my iv fluids were getting low or a air bubble was found in one of my tubs. ) went off in the early mornings Russel would appear. I would make some small chit chat. I asked Russel how he was. He immediately began to jabber on.
 
   "It's my first day on this floor. I normally don't work on this floor and I really don't know anyone here. It's a challenge." I felt rather like my father when Russel came into the room. Russel was like a clumsy, lost baby chicken. And I thought it was adorable.
"Well, meeting people is always kind of a frightening thing at first, but you'll get used to it." I chuckled, I sometimes get these feeling of like a father towards certain people. As weird thing since I'm a female, but I know how to act in the right situations.
 

"BEEP BEEP."
Robbert called upon me to wake up and get the nurse.
It was Russel.
"Hello Russel." I would say. "Are you getting a long better?"
"Yes. I've learned a few new names but I sometimes forget where things are or some numbers that I have to put in."
Russel had glasses and nice curly brown hair.
"I really wish I was a morning person." Russel said with a soft sigh as he put Robbert back into sleep. "Are you a morning person?"
"Ah. I'm actually both. As long as I get enough sleep I can either wake up anytime of the day and go do the things I need to do."
"Coffee? Do you like coffee?"
"No. I don't drink coffee. I can thank my father's genes for being able to wake up at anytime of the day or night. But I like my sleep. And coffee makes me throw up."

    I've never had more than a sip of coffee until my grandparents went to MacDonalds. I asked for a Fruit Parfait. "A WHAT?" my grandpa yelled. "A FRUIT PARFAIT." "Oh okay. I'll get you a fruit parfait." But it wasn't a fruit parfait. It was Frappe. Thinking back to my other spinal taps
 drinking caffeine helps with wounds. I drank about a quarter before throwing it up. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for my FRUIT PARFAIT.

   Russel was very sweet and he left in the morning, He said it was nice knowing me and I said maybe we'll see each other in the future.
    Maybe we will. Maybe I'll get my frantic baby chicken running around Pediatrics in the cancer ward trying to find his way and get to know familiar faces. And I hope to be that one face he remembers. I liked Russel.


2 comments:

  1. Your 13 kids are going to love the fruit parfait/frappe story. I know I did. Remarkable girl!

    ReplyDelete