Sunday, August 28, 2011

The other days

Day two in the hospital meant for me to start my chemo.

  I don't remember much in the beginning as I was asleep mostly from my waking up every hour and talking to Russel when every Robbert would start beeping. I remember waking up to seeing a man that I've come to known and love very much. Grassey Knowels. (( I'm sorry Mike Brand you officially visited first on the first day but not first on the chemo day.  Grassey gets all the presents. But your visit was the very first no-chemo and was very appreciated. Especially being able to see my mom being all feisty. ))

  I woke up to a Colonel Grassey. He came over and kissed me on the forehead. He originally gave me a scripture to read the day before Hospitalization started. D&C 122: 7-8. It really stuck with me and even know it still kind of makes me teary eyed, I love Grassey for giving me that Scripture. Apparently he had been there for my mom when she broke down after they started Chemo. And I'm so thankful Grassey was there and Mike Brand also for those tender moments my mom went through when I couldn't be there.

   I'll confess. I'm not very vocal about my feelings and don't tend to show when I'm distressed, sad, or angry. But I always show happiness, but there are about three men who can easily rip down those walls and make me cry for no apparent reason what so ever. Mike Brand, John Hruby, and now Grassey Knowles. I finally figured out why these men make me cry. If some people don't know, I lost my father in a plane crash three years ago. He was an amazing man. And I'm so sad he's no longer physically with me in my life. But with Mike, John, and Grassey make up my father. And These three men I want to hold forever dear in my heart.

Anyways, back to the Cancer story that you were all so interested earlier.

  They started Chemo and their original nausea medicine wasn't working. I was in so much nausea and I had to pee, really bad. Now my nausea was so bad I was debating whether or not to pee my pants because it was so bad. Would I rather throw up or pee my pants? I was going to wait till my nausea past until my nurses told me the dangers of keeping the fluids in my body. I forced me to go, and then I felt better. And then I was introduced into a wonderful drug called, ATIVAN.

  I was soo loopy and I if you ever get the chance to take it, PLEASE. Take it. It's so magical. It's just... UGH. It's the stuff guys. It's part Pain killer, Anxiety relief, and nausea. Of course I only take it for pain and nausea. But I get really loopy.

   Like for example; I sang this in the hallway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhKbtakmU34
I was in pediatrics Cancer ward where a lot of the patients are terminal or really bad off. I have the golden cancer. So me being of Ativman I started to sing this song but I start to sing, "Gory gory what a hell of way to die. Gory what a hell of way to die. Gory gory what a hell of way to die, We ain't gonna fight no more." Needless it was high inappropriate but it kept my mom laughing. That was all that mattered.

The next couple of days blended. But I met another three nurses that I absolutely love.
   Ed, the Ukraine who lived on the border of Russia who's father was Russian and Mother Ukraine. He moved to the United States when he was 28 years old. My mom liked Ed, also Barbara too. Ed was the nurse who check my blood. So when he came in with his accent he said, "Annika, I've come to check your blood." Barbara and my mom had a hard time keeping it in.
   Denise, was one of my favorites nurses. I could make her laugh, and she snorted when she laughed.  I really hope she's my RN my next visit. She's been working there for 11 years now. I scared her by locking the bathroom door, (Which is a habit) and she needed to scan my wrist. She couldn't get the door opened and I laughed. I open the door and stuck my wrist out for her, snickering. ( I was told I was her first Pediatric patient by my mom
    I also really loved Harmony. She was loud and proud and very pretty especially for like two in the morning. She was adopted between her older sister and younger sister. She has two kids and she was a hoot.
I hope I get Denise, Harmony, Ed and even Russel for my treatments in the hospital. They made me laugh and I made them laugh.

   The days kind of blurred together but I had visitors, Paul Bigelow and his adorable wife, Alissa Gertch and her husband, Half of the brands, my brother Grant, Grandparents, Georgette and Vivianne, John and Stephanie Hruby, and Grassey and his daughter Alyssa Knowles. Some of you were there during low times and some of you were there during high times, and I'm so glad you guys came. It really did help a lot.

Tomorrow I will write more little pranks and stories that I played on my mom and my mom's few bad moments. ((But they're funny now.)) And I'll talk about my t-shirts that I plan to make.

Look forward to my next chapter, as this is kind of like a documentary for me and hopefully it will somehow help a patient with stage three lymphoma. I hope so. Or maybe it's just a vlog for my lovely friends.

Annika Severts

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, man, but zofran not in plan? Whatever can! Say, "I am a fan of Ativan!"

    ReplyDelete